The repurposing of existing buildings either in part or in whole is becoming ever more popular. It is important to understand an existing buildings’ condition and suitability prior to any acquisition or for a better understanding of maintenance needs if within an existing property portfolio.
The existing structure
The ability of an existing structure to carry new loading is key to determining the viability of refurbishment and re-use. Building issues range from low risk, almost cosmetic in nature, to the more severe and costly problems associated with structural defects.
Pinnacle has a group of chartered structural engineers with significant experience in surveying existing buildings ranging from detailed checking of large commercial multi-storey frames to smaller residential properties for the home owner.
Our reports are presented to meet each client’s key requirements typically covering the following:
- A detailed description of the building construction
- Recording and describing building structural defects
- Determining the cause of the defects
- Highlighting issues that may influence property acquisition with suggested remedial works
- Recommending further investigations if required and identifying future risks and liabilities
We are familiar with surveying buildings of special architectural and/or historic interest, providing advice and recommendations for sympathetic restoration and repair works. We regularly work with specialist external third parties and heritage consultants.